Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

Dessert First!

Anyone who knows me knows that I have one of the biggest sweet tooths around. Why do "they" make you eat dessert last? I say eat the best stuff first so you don't run out of room for it! (Of course that is likely the cause of my weight issues...hmmm...food for thought.) Anyhoo, I wanted to kick off my new site with a dessert recipe.

This recipe was submitted by my sweet cousin, Gretchen Bruner. Her daddy, Larry Linsenbardt, was one of the greatest men to ever live, and this was his recipe for Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. She tells me that he loved the bread pudding from a certain restaurant so much that he went home and perfected his own recipe so he could enjoy it anytime. Well, Bread Pudding is one of my all-time favorite desserts, so I can't wait to give this recipe a try. If you decide to make this recipe, please return and post a comment to let us know how it turned out. And do me and my cousin a favor - whenever you make or eat this bread pudding, think of Larry; he was truly a wonderful human being and we miss him greatly. (FYI: This picture of Uncle Larry and Aunt Becky was taken in November 2002 in my parents' back yard on the occasion of my nephew, Joel's baptism.)

Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce

For the Pudding:
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon vanilla
½ Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 (1-lb.) loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
½ cup golden raisins (optional)

For the Sauce:
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup whiskey

Preheat oven to 325°. In a medium bowl, whip together eggs and sugar. Mix in milk, heavy cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whip until smooth.

Arrange bread cubes in a 9”x13” glass baking dish. Top with raisins if desired. Cover bread with the whipped mixture. Stir so that the bread becomes saturated with the mixture.

Bake 1½ hours in preheated oven. After 1½ hours, turned the heat up to 450° for 5 to 10 minutes to brown the top.

While the bread pudding is cooling, make the whiskey sauce. Mix sugar, butter, cream, and whiskey in a small saucepan. Warm over low heat, stirring constantly until sauce in gently boiling. Spoon sauce over baked bread pudding and serve warm.

Variation – for Sauce without whiskey: Combine 1 cup sugar, ½ cup butter, ½ cup heavy cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. While stirring, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and stir 3 minutes more. Spoon over bread pudding while warm.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE cooking blogs as much as I love to cook. Bread pudding always sounded so yucky to me that I never tried until two weeks ago. I must say, I was very surprised. I plan on making this for my husband when he is back in town next week. I will let you know how it turns out!