Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm cold!

I can't believe this weather. Yesterday I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt while enjoying Ethan's soccer game outside. (He made his first goal!!) Tonight I am sitting in my office in sweats with the heat turned on and I am still cold. We actually have a freeze watch tonight. In a couple more days I think we will be in shorts again. Ah, mid-south weather. It's no wonder we stay sick year round.

Weather like this calls for a hearty meal. This is one that we made this week. Ethan helped me make it (he chopped the bell peppers and grated the Parmesan), and everyone enjoyed it. Play around with the recipe a bit and add any ingredient you would normally enjoy on a pizza. I added freshly ground fennel seeds. I also wanted to add mushrooms, but was emphatically vetoed by my assistant chef. We enjoyed it with a nice crisp salad.


Pizza Casserole

8 oz. ground beef (90% lean) or ground turkey
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
15 oz. can can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or fat-free Parmesan)
1 tsp. pizza or Italian seasoning
3 cups hot cooked pasta (rotini, zitti, penne, bowtie, etc.)
3 oz. reduced fat or turkey pepperoni
1/3 cup shredded 2% skim Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8X8 inch baking dish with olive oil-flavored cooking spray. In a large skillet, brown meat, onions, green peppers and garlic. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, and seasoning. Add cooked noodles and pepperoni. Mix well to combine. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with Mozzarella. Continue baking for 10 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Set on wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: